Thursday, October 10, 2013

Hardy Kiwi - Who Knew!?!

Photo Courtesy of kiwiberry.com

I tried a new fruit I have never tried before called the Hardy Kiwi.

It also goes by many other names - Actinidia arguta, kiwi berry, arctic kiwi, baby kiwi, dessert kiwi, grape kiwi, northern kiwi, or cocktail kiwi.

Photo Courtesy of seasonalontariofood

I have never heard of such a fruit.  I Googled the berry as I was listing it in on the offering list to get some sort of description. It wasn't until the fruit arrived Friday that I was sold.

It is a native Asian plan that is able to grow in in Niagara.  The vine is available in a couple of nurseries around here.  

Photo Courtesy of torontogardens

The outside of the berry is green and a purple spot.  I assume the purple is a sign of ripeness.  I made sure to choose a berry that was a bit on the softer side.

When I bit in I expected it to have an extremely sour taste. To my surprise it was sweet with a bit of tang at the end.

I am not sure if these will continue to be available.  If they are I recommend you trying something new.

Maryrose

No comments: